Pin it

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hair inferiority...do you have it?

I was sitting across from my friend recently talking about the Texture revolution that I recently attended and therefore natural hair. I was sporting a fresh twist out as per usual for the weekends. My friend showed me a few pictures of her twist out and stated that she wished her twistouts would come out like mine.
It hit me at that moment that I often think the same thoughts
Looking at her pictures I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't sport her twist out as is.
While I was at the natural hair event I found myself looking at other naturals and also wishing I had their hair.
Why are we not satisfied with our own hair?
 
I don't plan to answer that for anyone but I do think it has to do with the ongoing thought that our hair isn't as nice as other textures. How many times have you heard that so and so has "good hair"? I think this statement implies that the person saying it and those she is talking to have "bad hair". I have also never heard one of those people with the "good hair" utter that same statement. Loose wavy, or loose curly hair is not good, in the sense that tight curly, coily or kinky hair is not bad.
It is great to get inspiration from others, but I challenge you to love your hair as it is. One reason is you would be amazed at how much better and confident you will feel. Also your hair will never be dramatically different than it is at this moment. It may be healthier but the texture will not change.
 
I am taking this to mind and when I see another natural girl with hair I like I will say "she has a nice regimen or nice styling". I will not expect my hair to change to look like hers. Likewise when I see a skinny girl or smaller curvy girl I will not call her a mean name in my head (hehe), I will say "she must have great impulse control...I will continue to work on this in myself".
 
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment