Pin it

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How I'm caring for my box braids

So I did it, I got box braids on the 19th of January. I was pleasantly surprised that the person who braided my hair really did listen to my hair needs and braided very gently especially around my edges. I had to go back to her and get them trimmed down and burned at the ends because they were just too heavy. I also had to keep working with the loose ends to keep them crimpy.
But I have been able to keep them in my hair with minimal discomfort. I did work to take some of the hair out of some of the braids along the back of my head because she caught EVERY hair and I forgot to tell her to leave them out. I am going to try to keep the braids in for a month in total.
I had to wash my hair last week because of the extreme itching caused by my eczema aka seborrheic dermatitis. I researched some good ways to clean the scalp without leaving too much product behind and decided to go with the ACV ( apple cider vinegar) method. I mixed ACV with tea tree oil and spooned it on my hair, yes I literally used a spoon. I then massaged my scalp very well, placed on a treatment/shower cap to keep it from getting all over the place. I left it on for about 20 minutes. I then rinsed out my hair in the shower and then sealed with a cold water rinse. The drying was the hardest part, but to my shock my scalp now feels great.
Every other day I will apply the braid spray, every 2 to 3 days I apply the treatment for stressed hair, and I apply the oil sheen about every 3 to 4 days. I will also use my regular moisturizer on the hairs that are not in the braids.

Products I'm using: African Pride hair and scalp spray, Profectiv Strength Recovery Temple Moisturant, Black Magic African Coconut oil sheen, and my Shea butter/coconut oil moisturizer.









No comments:

Post a Comment