Pin it

Monday, April 21, 2014

Hacks for Straightening Natural Hair

Every few months I get tired of pretending to love the shrinking power of my natural hair. During these times I think of ways to switch up my look. Often I explore a straight style. 
Over the years I have learned a few tricks that result in straighter hair and love to share the wealth. 
To get from this :
To this: 
I use a blow dryer and a flat iron.
Tips:
1. Use a a heat protectant and make sure the hair is moisturized. 
2. Pull on the hair during blow drying rather than using a comb. 
3. Use a flat iron to follow a rat tail comb as you straighten the hair.
4. Limit passes with the flat iron. 
5. Part the hair in really small sections, this can be very difficult if you have thick dense hair and little patience. 

Dry hair breaks and that typically isn't the desired effect, hair also burns which would ruin my growth goals.  I find that pulling my hair while I dry it results in more stretching than using a comb. If you have ever attempted to straighten very curly hair without a comb I have just given you the best tool you'll ever use. Using the comb prevents the hair from remaining tangled and staying a flattened curly mess. Lastly to limit the potential damage I try to only go through the hair once or twice.   

Below are my most recent results. 

~Curls and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment